Date Time League Season
Sat 12th Aug 3:00 pm SSML Premier Division 2017/18

Match Report

Leverstock Green are still looking for a win to kick-start their season after they went down 2-1 in Saturday’s SSML Premier Division opener at London Colney. Having lost both full-backs to injury in the abandoned FA Cup replay against Edgware, there was another injury blow today with skipper Shane Wood being stretchered off in the second half.

The home side, who have just one player remaining from the squad which won the Premier Division title last season, took the lead with just over four minutes on the clock. Kambo Smith made a run into the box, and although Wood got in a sliding tackle, the ball still continued towards goal where Kit Brown finished from close range past Leverstock’s debutant keeper Philip Daniels.

However, the scores were levelled in the 14th minute. Chris Marsh spotted a run by Sam Nair and lofted a perfect pass into his path, and Nair slotted the ball past home keeper Joe Simmonds for the equaliser.

For the rest of the half it was Leverstock on top. On 17 minutes Marsh played a pass out wide to David Lawrence, who pass inside found Ross Adams, but Adams’ shot went over the bar. In the 25th minute Wood got on the end of a cross from Jonathan Lacey with a looping header which landed just over the bar. On 39 minutes Lawrence received a pass from Nair and clipped a shot from a narrow angle inches over the angle of post and bar. Half time was reached with the score still 1-1, with Leverstock having played the ball around very well, but once again without the goals to show for their possession.

London Colney improved in the second half and on the hour had two chances within a minute to go back in front, but Brown shot across goal and wide when clean through from the first chance, and Daniels pulled off a great save to turn a shot from Lawrence Vaughan round the post.

Midway through the half, Green skipper Wood landed awkwardly from an aerial challenge and stayed down. Wood received treatment for some time before being stretchered off with a twisted ankle. Not long after the game resumed, the home side went back in front when Smith received the ball on the edge of the box and quickly turned and shot home a 76th minute goal for a 2-1 lead.

Leverstock pushed forward and created chances, but they are still struggling to put the ball in the net. On 79 minutes Simmonds saved a shot from Lawrence from a narrow angle, and on 82 minutes Luke Preedy set up a clear chance for Nair but again Simmonds saved his shot. Two minutes later Lawrence got on the end of a cross from Nair but couldn’t direct his shot on target.

There was almost 15 minutes of stoppage time played, during which Dwayne Clarke missed a great chance to put London Colney 3-1 up, and Leverstock substitute Craig King received a straight red card following an altercation with an opponent. Luca DeMare also limped off injured towards the end of stoppage time to give yet another potential injury worry for Tuesday night’s FA Cup replay against Edgware.


London Colney(1)2Brown 5, Smith 76
Team: 1. Joe Simmonds, 2. Lewis Fredricks, 3. Daniel Westmore, 4. Chris Griffin, 5. Zach Holdings, 6. Bobby Armstrong, 7. Kit Brown (14. Paolo Motella 85 mins), 8. Joe Reynolds, 9. Kambo Smith (16. Chris Shennan 90+10 mins), 10. Dwayne Clarke, 11. Lawrence Vaughan (15. Anton Johnson 78 mins). Subs not used: 12. Promise-Iwyehnwaou Dike, 13. Johnny Armitt.
Leverstock Green(1)1Nair 14
Team: 1. Philip Daniels, 2. Luke Nugent, 3. Luca DeMare, 4. Shane Wood (12. Craig King 70 mins), 5. Reece Fallon, 6. Luke Preedy, 7. Ross Adams, 8. Chris Marsh, 9. David Lawrence, 10. Jonathan Lacey (16. Lewis Davis 62 mins), 11. Sam Nair. Subs not used: 14. Ben Darby, 15. Charlie Martindale.


London Colney F.C. Cotlandswick, London Colney, St Albans AL2 1EH